Monday, February 21, 2011

Brain steers car: Berlin scientists present BrainDriver

Hi Guys,

I've discovered a really cool project, made by scientists of the university my brother is attending.
To use your brain while driving is never a bad idea, but scientists of the "Freie Universität Berlin" take that to a new level and "link brainwaves with driving technology". In project BrainDriver a driver who is equipped with EEG-Sensors steers a car with thinking of commands like "break" or "drive left". Those commands create typical Brainwavepatterns which a computer learned to interpret before.
The project was testet on the abandoned berlin airport "Tempelhof" and was captured on video, here you go:

27 comments:

  1. Interesting, I wonder how it would react if you fell asleep, or if you were dreaming. The training program reminds me of a study where brainwaves controlled cursors on computer screens better then the normal hand/mouse input. Definitely a fun concept for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool, but i hope it never becomes the standard, i like driving

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this is amazing. I think in theory, we could do anything with just our minds. Given the correct working technology of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. best way for old people to be safer on the road

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is scary just imagine machines doing the same with us

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fascinating annd frightening o.o

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome. Hope to see the time when this is fully developed.

    thanks for sharing ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I saw something like this on Ripleys Believe it or Not awhile ago.

    ReplyDelete
  9. amazing concept that we are actually testing and getting back positive results! following to keep up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't know about real cars but imagine this working in a videogame!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd read about it, but I saw the video until now, This is great, right... right?

    ReplyDelete
  12. How long before cars just drive themselves?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha don't start daydreaming in that thing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amazing technology. I would be more afraid of distracted drivers, though.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really exciting stuff. Once perfected, the applications for this technology are limitless.

    ReplyDelete
  16. honestly, that would be interesting if your mind started to stray. that's a fantastic concept, but what if I wanted to use my brain for other things whilst in the car?

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's cool but I like to have a think while I drive..

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is amazing. I once read a study about a monkey who could control mechanic arm with his brain.

    ReplyDelete